What is IST?
IST is video gaming, medical information, business management, and government security. It’s people coming together with the technology that we all use every day. IST means:
- Figuring out how people use technology, at work or just for fun.
- Taking information from businesses and analyzing it to find solutions.
- Creating and managing information systems to help industry and government agencies stop hackers, identity thieves, and other cyber criminals.
- Keeping information from lots of places organized so that companies can keep moving forward.
- Helping doctors and researchers use technology to manage information about diseases and helping hospitals and health insurance agencies keep track of patient information.
Careers for Information Sciences and Technology graduates:
Some IST students go on to careers as business consultants, where they use technology to solve problems at businesses and make organizations run more smoothly. Others go to work as software and Web developers, creating IT solutions for businesses and government organizations. Still other students pursue jobs within a wide array of technology-oriented career options in marketing, research and development, and other areas where technology is used.
Students can choose from among several options, including: management, analysis, design, integration or networking career options.
College of IST graduates have been hired in many segments of the labor market such as consulting, defense contracting, government agencies, manufacturing, financial services, and insurance industries, to name just a few. Careers can include IT project manager, system analysts, human computer interaction designer, network administrator, and database designer to name only a few.
Penn State Mont Alto also offers a minor in Security and Risk Analysis (SRA). The minor is intended to familiarize students with the general framework and multidisciplinary theories that define security and related risk analysis.
Information Sciences and Technology (IST) Minor:
This minor is structured to provide students with the theoretical frameworks and skill sets necessary to compete and be productive in the information technology-intensive global context that defines the new "Information Age."
Penn State Mont Alto IST on:
Internships: Program Assessment
Request more information about this degree:
- About the IST Baccalaureate Degree
- Additional IST Information